The project I work on at work had a GUI interface with Python and PyGTK, which is now being
ported to the web. We have adopted Vuejs as the JS framework, and have been building the
components required for our UI over the past months. The project is hosted
on GitHub licensed under GPLv3.
In Cylc 7, an important visualization was the workflow graph. The screen shot below is from
the design sketches done by another contributor from the UK, showing how it should look in
The first library we decided to try is Cytoscape, a well-known graph library, with use cases
in research, corporate, and other fields. One limitation of Cytoscape is that the way it renders
the graph nodes is limited.
Limited, meaning that you won’t be able to easily add HTML, images, SVG, animation, etc. Though
I created it to have a place to collect links about functional programming. To my surprise there was
no subreddit for functional programming. So I created one. Fast forward a few years, the community is
still active, with a healthy group of nearly 10.000 readers and contributors.
Nowadays I spend something like 5 to 20 minutes everyday moderating posts. And a little more than that whenever I
find some interesting post to read. But if I could change one thing in the community, it would be to find
It is a huge responsibility to be the sole moderator of content read by thousands of readers.
Whilst I try to stay neutral, and keep it a healthy community, I feel like having other
people with different background and opinions would be good for the future of the community.
There are tools out there that can be used to reverse engineer databases and generate diagrams. These tools
normally are GUI based. But I needed one that could be used in a
project build to generate a simple diagram for documentation.
A tool in Python would be ideal, as that is the language the project I was working on was written in. After
searching in DuckDuckGo and PYPI, I found ERAlchemy that
seemed to have the features I needed - kinda.