Actually, in the dashboard, the graph was missing, being displayed as a gray box. Enabling the web inspector in Google Chrome I got the graph URL. Opening the link in a new tab gave me the exception message: too many SQL variables (1).
After some research, I found out this was a bug in SQLite. After trying to hack the code, and being concerned about using a patched version of Graphite and having to update it later, I decided to switch database.
But to avoid losing the graphs, users and other settings, including the events, I migrated the SQLite database to a MySQL server. This MySQL server was already installed in the server machine, since this machine hosted a Zabbix server too.
Here are the steps required to migrate your database from SQLite to MySQL (2).
- Download sqlite3_mysql python script from http://www.redmine.org/boards/2/topics/12793
- Stop Apache/Nginx
- mysql -u user -p -e “create database redmine graphite set utf8;”
sqlite3 graphite.db .dump sqlite3-to-mysql.py mysql -uroot -pyourpass graphite
- Start Apache again
After tail’ing the Graphite webapp log file,
tail f- storage/log/webapp/error.log
I noticed the Python MySQLdb wasn’t installed.
ImproperlyConfigured: Error loading MySQLdb module: No module named MySQLdb
My server was an Ubuntu 13.04, so I installed the module simply with the following command.
apt-get install python-mysqldb
Hope that helps!
1 You may have to enable *DEBUG* in your Django settings for seeing the exception in your browser
2 Zabbix needed some minor tweaks in order to use [MariaDB](https://mariadb.org/), but probably you can give it a try too