Fix laggy Flash (Pepper) in Chrome
My chrome died twice this morning. Checking the system logs I found some segmentation errors. Since it was not so recent version, I updated to the latest version of Chrome. But after that my Flash player was laggy/slowly, and I couldn't listen to Live Ireland Channel 1 no more :-( (I listen to either this radio or r/electrohouse on reddit.tv while I'm programming... I know, I'm a bit weird).
If you are having the same problem, here's the list of actions that I did to fix it.
TL;DR: Disable the Pepper Flash, as well as the Gnash or other flash libraries installed, download flash plug-in from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and enable it.
- Went to chrome:plugins and disabled the Pepper Flash.
- Now I was back at using the Gnash flash plug-in previously installed. Now, although I could watch to Youtube videos, my radio wasn't playing yet.
- Disabled all Flash plug-ins, went to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and got the latest version (tar.gz, since I'm using Debian).
- Copied the libflashplayer.so to /opt/google/chrome/plugins
- Re-enabled the Shockwave Flash plug-in (you have to expand the details section, in order to be able to choose which version you want to enable
And now I'm happily writing this blog and code, listening to Salonika - Dublin City Ramblers.