These days I was trying to reproduce a bug in Krita where it would crash when a user copied group layers between windows. It appeared that the user was getting a segmentation fault due to the user’s computer running out of memory.
I could not reproduce the issue, but my computer has 16 GB. The first thing that came to my mind was to create a virtual machine with less memory to reproduce the issue. But I decided to spend some time looking for a simpler way of doing it.
Searching the web I found some suggestions that
ulimit could work. After playing for a while with
htop, and verifying the amount of memory necessary to open two files in two windows
in Krita, I came up with the following settings.
# 2550 mb in kb ulimit -v 2550000 # 2 gb in kb ulimit -m 2000000 # Confirm limits ulimit -a gdb $HOME/Development/cpp/workspace/krita_install/bin/krita
Then after copying a few layers from one window to another, I successfully reproduced the issue, and could include a backtrace in the Krita issue tracking system.
♥ Open Source